An accident with a truck, 18-wheeler, tractor-trailer, or other commercial vehicle can have devastating consequences. They can cause serious, catastrophic, and sometimes even deadly injuries. No matter what type of truck accident caused your injuries, you may be able to recover compensation with the help of an experienced motor vehicle injury lawyer.
There are many different types of truck accidents that occur on the road, whether it be on the highways or back roads. For example:
- Rollover accidents. These accidents occur when a semi-truck slides and rolls over. They are often caused by the driver losing control of the truck — whether due to speeding, hitting a curb, colliding with another vehicle or object, hitting an incline or decline improperly, overloading the truck, or trying to overcorrect after drifting. These types of accidents can be very dangerous to other vehicles adjacent to the truck or trying to pass it, often causing serious injuries.
- Rear-end collisions. These are often devastating to other vehicles, as the sheer size and weight of the truck can serve a crushing blow to a smaller vehicle and make it much more difficult for a truck to slow down and stop.
- Underride accidents. These occur when a truck brakes too quickly, causing the vehicles behind it to need to stop suddenly. In some cases, another vehicle collides with the truck and gets stuck underneath the trailer. This can be quite serious, often leading to wrongful death.
- Head-on collisions. These can occur when a truck driver drifts into the path of oncoming traffic, fails to observe the right-of-way properly or loses control of the truck. They can cause very serious, sometimes fatal injuries.
- Jackknife accidents. These involve the truck folding in on itself, with the trailer and cab ending up at an angle — much like a folding jackknife. This is dangerous to others on the road, as the truck can drift into another lane, striking another vehicle.
- Wide turn accidents. These typically involve right turns, which happen when the truck driver attempts to make a turn by first swinging their cab wide to the left, often without the proper space to make the turn. Without enough space, the situation can be dangerous for drivers in neighboring lanes, whose vehicles may be struck or even get caught underneath the tractor-trailer.
- Tire blowouts. These often happen as a result of the trucking company’s failure to maintain the tires of its fleet. When pieces of tire fly around on the road, they can force other vehicles to swerve, stop suddenly, or veer off the road, sometimes leading to serious injuries.
- Brake accidents. These occur upon brake system failure, which can result from improper truck maintenance, overuse, mechanical failures, or improper installation.
- Spilled cargo accidents. These can present a dangerous road obstruction, whether due to cargo falling off the truck or spilling out of the truck onto the road.
- Blind spot accidents. These occur when a truck driver fails to properly check their blind spot. They often happen when the driver attempts to change lanes, and they put other vehicles in danger of being hit by the truck or being forced off the road, which can result in significant injury.
- Driver error or misconduct accidents. These are also frequent. They can involve the driver ignoring traffic laws or the rules of the road, speeding, driving fatigued or distracted, or even driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
A truck accident lawsuit can quickly become complicated, raising various questions of liability and damages, which can be complex to resolve, particularly when insurance companies are involved. In some cases, a fair and reasonable settlement may be reached, while in other cases, a lawsuit may be necessary in order to recover compensation for your damages.
The help of an experienced and knowledgeable truck accident attorney can be invaluable — they will negotiate with the other party toward a fair and reasonable resolution and will file a claim on your behalf to recover compensation for the injuries you have suffered.
The attorneys at Johnson Garcia have more than 35 years of experience in helping victims of even the most serious truck accidents obtain sizable settlements and resolve their claims.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company, call our Houston-based legal team at Johnson Garcia. If the other party or their insurance company is not negotiating fairly, the personal injury attorneys at Johnson Garcia will file a lawsuit on your behalf and take your case to trial, if needed. We can be reached by phone at 832-844-6700.