Motor vehicle accidents occur frequently, whether involving cars, commercial vehicles, or pedestrians. In many cases, they are caused by the negligence or recklessness of other drivers. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for the damages you have incurred.
There are many different types of car accidents that occur on Texas roads every day. For example:
- Single-vehicle accidents. These occur where only one vehicle is involved, such as when a vehicle hits a tree, pole, guardrail, or other object or goes off the road. These accidents can also involve the vehicle striking a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist.
- Multi-vehicle accidents. These take place between two or more vehicles and can even include “pile-up” accidents involving many different drivers. Often, they can involve breaking a traffic law, speeding, failing to check blind spots, or otherwise failing to follow the rules.
- Head-on collisions. These happen when vehicles collide directly while going in the opposite direction. They can result in serious personal injuries and damage, even wrongful death, as the force between the two vehicles moving toward each other can be significant.
- Rear-end collisions. These occur when one vehicle strikes another from behind, often as a result of following too closely, not maintaining proper distance, or not paying attention to the road. Injuries in rear-end collisions can be minor, such as whiplash or other soft tissue injuries, or more major, including broken bones and injury to the neck or spine.
- Side-impact collisions. These happen when one vehicle strikes another at a perpendicular angle, damaging the victim’s car from the side. This can be particularly dangerous to occupants who are sitting at or near the place of impact, resulting in serious injuries. Side-swiping is also common, occurring where a moving vehicle strikes a parked car, or where two vehicles are traveling parallel to each other and one of them collides with the side of the other car.
- Commercial vehicle accidents. These involve one or more trucks, 18-wheelers, vans, buses, or other vehicles that are classified as commercial. Often, these accidents result in serious injuries and even death, as the sheer size of commercial vehicles can make smaller cars more likely to take the brunt of the impact.
- Hit-and-run accidents. These happen when a party — usually the one causing the accident — fails to stop and follow proper policies and procedures. Generally, after a car accident, the parties must pull over, assess the damages, and exchange pertinent information. Hit-and-run accidents can complicate the victim’s legal recourse and the recovery of compensation.
- Pedestrian accidents. These types of accidents happen when a vehicle strikes or hits a pedestrian, often resulting in serious personal injuries and the need for lengthy medical treatment. Car accidents can also involve bicycles, motorcycles, and even recreational vehicles.
Car accidents result from various different causes. While some of them may be related to road conditions, weather, or other factors you cannot control, there are many causes that are related to human error or unsafe driving by others on the road. For example:
- Reckless driving, such as improper lane changes
- Ignoring traffic laws or the rules of the road
- Distracted or drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive driving, such as following too closely
If your car accident was caused by another party’s reckless or negligent behavior, you may be able to recover compensation, but it is important to contact a car accident lawyer to ensure you protect your legal rights and preserve important evidence. Discuss your potential claims and legal issues with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney, who can advise you about your options and next steps.
A car accident lawsuit can quickly become complicated, particularly when insurance companies are involved and liability and damages are being questioned. An experienced car accident lawyer can help negotiate with the responsible party and their insurance company towards a fair and reasonable settlement, and they can prepare a strong case on your behalf to present in court.
The attorneys at Johnson Garcia have more than 35 years of experience, includingexperience in helping victims of car accidents obtain sizable settlements and resolve their claims. If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another party, call our Houston-based legal team at Johnson Garcia. Even when the other party or their insurer are not negotiating fairly, the personal injury attorneys at Johnson Garcia can help, and we will file a lawsuit on your behalf and take your case to trial if needed. We can be reached by phone at 832-844-6700.