Riding in a limousine is supposed to be a fun experience. You’re with your friends, out on the town, and celebrating a wedding, prom, graduation, or another special event.
However, sometimes limo rides can be dangerous. If your driver isn’t paying attention to the road, your rowdy friends are causing issues, or the limousine has not been properly inspected, then you could become injured and need medical treatment right away.
While you may hear about car crashes all the time, limo crashes are not as talked about — but they do still occur. In 2018, former NFL linebacker Isiah “Butch” Robertson Jr. was speeding in his limo in the rain, skidded, and was killed when two other vehicles struck his. Just because a limo may seem safe, you can’t always trust the company that operates it or that the driver is doing their job.
If you’ve been involved in a limousine accident in Texas and you don’t know what to do, then it’s time to call the Houston car accident attorneys at Johnson Garcia LLP to assist you. We have over 30 years of experience and have recovered over $100 million for our clients. And remember: You pay nothing unless we win.
Why limousines and limo accidents are dangerous
Riding in a limousine can be dangerous for several reasons, including the following:
- Since riders are often partying, they may be drinking and not following certain safety regulations, like wearing their seatbelts.
- Riders could be laughing and talking loudly or conversing with the driver, which is distracting to the driver.
- Limo drivers will often have to drive for a long period of time and late into the night, so they may be tired and fall asleep at the wheel or make reckless driving decisions.
- The limo could be overcrowded.
- A limo company might not be following safety protocols, like the one involved in the national tragedy and the deadliest road accident in 14 years.
Who can be held responsible for your limousine accident?
When you’re involved in a limo accident, you may not know who exactly is responsible. One or more of the following could be to blame:
- Limo driver: If the limo driver was using their phone while driving, speeding, swerving in between lanes, drunk driving, or otherwise driving recklessly, then they could be at fault.
- Limo rental company: If the limo rental company did not properly inspect or maintain their vehicles and licenses, or they did not train the driver, then they could be held responsible.
- Limo manufacturer: The company that produced parts for the limo could be to blame if the car parts were defective. For example, in one limo accident, there was a catastrophic failure of the rear suspension system that caused a limo fire and killed five passengers.
- Limo maintenance company: The business that performs the maintenance for the limo might have been negligent and not properly repaired the vehicle before it got back out on the road.
- Rowdy limo passengers: If you and/or your friends drank too much or you were too loud and distracted the driver, then your actions could have led to the crash.
You may not know who is at fault until you call up your attorney. When you get in touch with the Houston car accident attorneys at Johnson Garcia LLP, they will help you determine who was to blame and who caused you new injuries or worsened existing ones.
What would be included in a limo accident settlement?
Once you hand over any evidence you have to your Houston car accident attorney and get treated for your injuries, then they will attempt to negotiate with whoever was to blame for the accident (“the defendant”). The defendant may be the limousine company, the limousine maintenance company, or manufacturers, depending on what happened and how the accident occurred.
Your settlement may include damages for things like:
- Your medical bills, which would include your initial visit to the hospital, follow-up treatments, medications, surgeries, and any other treatment.
- Lost wages if you had to take time off of work because of your injuries.
- Pain and suffering if the accident caused you emotional distress.
- Loss of enjoyment if you cannot partake in your favorite activities anymore because of your injuries.
You won’t know how much your settlement is going to be until your lawyer talks to the defendant. Usually a defendant will offer a settlement because going to court is time-consuming, expensive, and it could harm their reputation. If you aren’t satisfied with your initial settlement, then your Houston car accident lawyer will be happy to renegotiate a higher offer for you.
Demand a settlement for your limo accident injuries
Once you’re ready to pursue your limousine accident claim, then contact Johnson Garcia LLP online or give us a call to schedule your free consultation. Our Houston car accident attorneys are available 24/7 to assist you and are eager to hold the limo company, limo driver, or limo manufacturer responsible for your injuries.