The aftermath of a Texas motor vehicle accident can be tricky to navigate. And that’s especially true when you’re dealing with a serious incident that requires accident reconstruction. Before we dive into the finer details of accident reconstruction in a Texas personal injury case, there’s one thing you need to know: Trying to find, hire, and work with an expert on your own is challenging. You have enough on your plate with your injuries, treatment, and recovery. It’s best to consult with an experienced injury attorney in Houston who can manage this process for you.
What is accident reconstruction?
Accident reconstruction is the process of using science to determine the circumstances surrounding an accident. This is most common in accidents involving cars, commercial trucks, motorcycles, and pedestrians.
Accident reconstruction work should begin right away (or as soon as possible). With this in mind, it’s important to consult with a dependable personal injury attorney who can send their expert to the scene in a timely manner.
With the potential for evidence to be at the scene, the sooner the expert arrives the greater chance there is of finding something that can strengthen your claim.
While the investigation phase varies based on the factors associated with the accident, here are some of the many steps that are typically taken:
- Examination of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Inspect and photograph all objects involved in the accident, including vehicles, buildings, fences, and trees among others.
- Collect visual evidence, such as traffic videos.
- Collect and review witness information and police reports.
- Examine physical evidence, such as tire marks that can indicate the speed of a vehicle.
- Review weather conditions, such as heavy rain and strong winds, at the time of the accident.
- Inspect the road surface, looking closely for debris, potholes, gravel, snow, ice, or slippery substances.
- Inspect the surrounding area for any visual impairments, such as a traffic sign that was hidden by an overhanging tree.
What is an accident reconstruction expert?
An accident reconstruction expert is someone who has the training, knowledge, and experience necessary to reconstruct the events surrounding an accident. Here are some common questions and answers to help you better understand what this expert does and how they operate:
- What are the qualifications and training? Getting a job as an accident reconstruction expert starts with experience in law enforcement. In addition to specialized training and certification, you need to pass a police academy training course and work for a predetermined number of years on the force.
- What kinds of accidents do they work on? Experts work on all types of accidents, including but not limited to automobile, commercial truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, and public transportation.
- What tools and techniques do they use to recreate the accident? This includes things such as applying the laws of physics and occupant kinematics, 3-D animation, and diagrams complete with aerial photo overlay.
- What type of road or accident data do they examine? This includes but is not limited to skid marks, the vehicle’s black boxes, road obstructions, and road surfaces.
- Who is an accident reconstruction expert employed by? Generally, an accident reconstruction expert is either self-employed or employed by a company that specializes in this area. Your legal team has a network of experts to pull from.
- What is their role in a personal injury trial? Their primary role is to provide evidence that backs up your claim that the other party is at fault.
- How is their work used in a personal injury case? Their work is presented during negotiations with insurance companies and/or during the trial.
Is an accident reconstruction expert necessary in a personal injury case?
An accident reconstruction expert is not always needed, but there are times when it’s critical to improve the odds of winning your case. Some of the many reasons why your Houston injury attorney may choose to use an expert include:
- Their opinions hold more weight in court as they are an expert in accident reconstruction.
- Personal recollection can be unreliable after experiencing the shock of an accident.
- Eyewitness testimony is not always available, and even if it is, it’s often unreliable.
- To settle conflicting views of how the accident occurred.
- To recreate an accurate depiction of what happened.
Contact Johnson Garcia LLP to get the right team on your side
If you or a loved one was recently injured in a motor vehicle accident, don’t hesitate to take action to protect your legal rights. The Houston car accident lawyers at Johnson Garcia LLP have the experience and knowledge needed to manage your Texas personal injury case from start to finish. With a trusted network of accident reconstruction experts, we’ll find the right person for your case and gather the necessary evidence to pursue compensation on your behalf. Contact us online or give us a call at 832-844-6700 to set up a free consultation. Remember, you pay nothing unless we win your case.
Are you unsure if you need an accident reconstruction expert? You will want to reach out to us if you have searched for or resonate with the following:
- Commercial accident reconstruction
- Car accident reconstruction Texas
- Car accident reenactment