Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents, slips and falls, and construction site accidents are all common causes of serious personal injuries in Houston and in Texas. When these accidents are severe, impacts on victims can be catastrophic. At Johnson Garcia LLP, our attorneys are dedicated to helping victims of severe injuries. If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury in Texas, reach out to an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston who can provide the trusted legal guidance and professional representation you need to pursue compensation in a catastrophic injury claim.
What is a catastrophic injury?
The American Medical Association defines a catastrophic injury as one that causes major damage to a specific body part or system, such as the spine, spinal cord, or brain. In personal injury law, catastrophic injuries are considered any type of injury that causes life-altering impairments and short or long-term impacts on the victim’s functionality. When filing a personal injury claim, the focus is often on the lingering effects a catastrophic injury has on the sufferer and their family members. These impacts are likely to include:
- The inability to work or provide for themselves financially;
- The inability to perform basic personal or household tasks;
- An increased dependence on family members and friends in meeting daily needs;
- An increased need for medical care and medical support services to manage their condition or maintain their current health;
- Losses in overall quality of life experienced by the victim, their spouse, children, and other loved ones due to the catastrophic injury;
- An increased risk of illnesses, chronic diseases, or other complications due to the injuries, which could prove life-threatening.
Catastrophic injuries often occur due to accidents caused by the reckless and negligent actions of others. You can count on an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston from Johnson Garcia LLP to help you seek the compensation you and your loved ones need to recover from these life-altering injuries.
What are common types of catastrophic injuries?
While personal injury law focuses more on the impacts of a catastrophic injury, there are certain types of injuries that are more likely to result in life-altering impairments. These include:
- Back and neck injuries, which can result in limited mobility and chronic pain;
- Burn injuries, which can cause permanent damage to underlying tissues and disfigurement;
- Crushing injuries, which can cause damage to internal organs or other body parts;
- Deep lacerations, which may result in scarring or the loss of a limb;
- Spinal cord injuries, which can cause partial or complete paralysis;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI), which can cause permanent cognitive, physical, and emotional impairments.
It can take long months to fully diagnose, treat, and determine the maximum level of medical recovery from the above or other types of catastrophic injuries. It can take even longer to determine all of the impacts victims and their families are likely to suffer as a result.
Fortunately, the Texas Statute of Limitations in personal injury cases is two years. This usually gives a skilled personal injury lawyer in Houston plenty of time to determine the total amount of financial losses you are likely to incur and the amount of compensation you need to recover in a claim.
Expenses related to catastrophic injuries that can be recovered in a personal injury case
While catastrophic personal injuries can impact you for years into the future, it is important to be aware that you have only one chance to get compensation in a personal injury claim. To protect your rights and prevent having to potentially pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket, get an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston from Johnson Garcia LLP on your side.
While you focus on your recovery, we focus on negotiating for full compensation in a claim on your behalf. What expenses related to catastrophic injuries can be recovered in a personal injury claim? Under the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, these generally include:
- Medical treatment costs, including any current and future diagnostic testing, treatment, or follow-up care you require;
- Assistance from home health aides and other types of caregivers;
- Medical devices, including prosthetics, wheelchairs, walkers, or other items;
- Physical or occupational rehabilitation therapy;
- Counseling and other support services for you and impacted family members;
- Modifications to make your home or vehicle more accessible;
- Lost wages and future losses in earning capacity due to your injuries;
- Compensation for your pain, suffering, and emotional distress;
- Loss of enjoyment in life and loss of consortium, which refers to relations with your spouse, that occur as a result of your catastrophic injuries.
Suffered a catastrophic injury? Reach out to an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston
When catastrophic injuries happen, reach out to the personal injury lawyers at Johnson Garcia LLP. With over 30 years of combined experience, our attorneys provide the caring support and aggressive legal representation you need to seek maximum compensation in a catastrophic injury claim. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, contact us online or give us a call to schedule your free consultation.