Personal injuries are generally attributed as accidents but typically occur due to the reckless and negligent actions of others involved. At Johnson Garcia LLP, our experienced Houston personal injury attorneys are dedicated to helping you hold those at fault accountable. Compensation for your injuries may be available through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. However, you can expect attorneys representing the person at fault to do all they can to either dispute the circumstances surrounding your accident or the extent of your injuries. To protect your rights to compensation, it is important to have someone acting as a strong legal ally on your side. Our guide details how to find a good personal injury lawyer, the qualities they should possess, and what to expect during your initial consultation.
How do I find a personal injury lawyer?
According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), personal injuries send close to 40 million people to hospital emergency rooms each year. Common causes include car accidents, slips and falls, and workplace accidents. When the reckless and negligent actions of others are responsible, they can be held legally liable for damages you suffer in a personal injury claim.
While you focus on recovering from your injuries, a personal injury lawyer can take the actions needed to get you the compensation you may be entitled to. One of the most common questions people have is ‘How do I find a good personal injury lawyer?’. Steps you can take include:
- Google ‘personal injury lawyers near me’ and look at any ratings and reviews listed;
- Search online legal directories, such as Avvo, Justia, and SuperLawyers, which provide information on licensed personal injury lawyers in your area;
- Ask family, friends, or co-workers about personal injury lawyers they have successfully worked with in the past;
- Once you narrow down your search, visit each lawyer’s website and look at their client testimonials and top case results.
What qualities should a good personal injury lawyer have?
Once you find a personal injury lawyer in your area, the next question is ‘What qualities should a good lawyer have?’. Passion for what they do, compassion for their clients, excellent communications skills, and experience in handling a variety of personal injury cases are all important qualities to look for. They ensure you get the level of client care you deserve and help in obtaining the best possible outcome in your case.
What should you expect when working with a good personal injury lawyer? To be successful, they should be able to provide the following:
- The tools and resources needed to conduct a thorough investigation into your case, gathering information on what happened and the evidence needed to support your claim.
- The willingness to provide ongoing client support in answering calls, addressing concerns you have, and providing regular status updates on your case.
- The ability to aggressively negotiate with insurers and others involved to obtain the maximum amount in a settlement;
- The determination to take your case to court if needed and the legal expertise to make effective arguments before the judge or jury in your case.
Along with qualities that make for a good personal injury lawyer, there are red flags of a bad lawyer you need to be aware of. These include not returning phone calls or emails promptly, showing a lack of empathy in regards to the impact your injuries have on your life, being evasive in discussing their fees, showing up late for meetings and other types of unprofessional behavior.
What is included in a free consultation with an injury lawyer?
When choosing a good personal injury lawyer, look for someone who offers a free initial consultation. This provides an opportunity for you to meet the lawyer in person and to discuss the details surrounding the situation, as well as your options in seeking compensation.
To find out more about what to expect, check out our post on 8 Things to Know About a Free Consultation with a Houston Injury Attorney. Items to bring with you to this meeting include:
- Any police or incident reports filed, which generally detail where and when your injuries happened and who was involved;
- Photos and videos you may have taken at the scene, showing the extent of your injuries and any property damages;
- Contact information you may have for witnesses and any statements regarding what they saw;
- Copies of medical reports from the hospital or your doctor, detailing the extent of your injuries and your prognosis for recovery.
Ready to hire a good personal injury lawyer near you?
If you are looking for a good personal injury lawyer, look no further than the Houston personal injury attorneys at Johnson Garcia LLP. With more than 30 years’ combined experience, we provide the compassionate, personalized, and professional legal representation you need. Give us a call or contact us online today to request a free consultation regarding your options and how we can help you get the compensation you need to recover.